Part of french traditional cuisine, quiche is a dish that can be served as a starter or as main and often goes with a side salad. You can find quiche in bakeries all over France and on the menu of most bistrots. The traditional version is Quiche Lorraine with smoked bacon bits, but it can be adapted to different tastes by changing the ingredients of the filling, such as vegetarian version or with salmon.
Servings: 6 serves
For the dough
- 150 gr Flour
- 75 gr Butter cut in pieces
- 50 gr Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For the filling
- 200 gr Bacon Frozen 1/2 stips or bits
- 250 gr Whipping Cream
- 4 pces Egg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 pinch Pepper
- 80 gr Cheese Grated - Emmental or gruyere
Making the dough:
- Heat oven at 180ºC
- Add all dough ingredients in the Thermomix bowl (or food processor).
Thermomix® ➔ knead for 1 min/ on dough position. In a regular food processor, blend until the dough forms but don't over mix it.
- Remove dough from the bowl. You can place it in the fridge for 15 min or flatten it with a rolling pin directly and place it over baking paper in a pie/ tart baking tray
- Make holes at the bottom with a fork and reserve in the fridge for another 30 mn (this will prevent the dough from shrinking if you bake it)
- At this stage, I like to pre-bake the dough to make sure it is not too chewy when the quiche is fully baked. if you decide to so do, you may use ceramic balls (cover the dough with baking paper and ceramic balls. this will prevent bubbles to form on the dough by keeping some weight). Bake in the oven for 10 min at 180ºC
Making the filling:
- Stir fry the diced bacon in a pan for 4-5 min or until cooked. Drain the fat out
- In a food processor or with a whip, mix cream, eggs, salt & pepper and 40 grams of grated cheese.
Using a Thermomix®:
- Add the diced bacon in the Thermomix bowl (if the bacon is not diced, I recommend using some partially frozen bacon stips cut in 1/2, and chop them in the Thermomix for 5-10 sec, speed 6 until they form bacon bits).
- Stir fry 3 min/ 120ºC/ Reverse ↺/ stirring speed.
- Once cooked, place the bacon in cooking basket and let is strain.
- In the empty bowl, add cream, eggs, salt & pepper and 40 grams of grated cheese. Mix 30 sec on speed 4.
Combining & baking:
- Place the bacon bits evenly on the dough.
- Pour the filling over the bacon.
- (optional) Add the remaining grated cheese on top .
- Bake in oven for 25 min or until golden at 180ºC.